Friday, December 08, 2006

Tweaking : Making the most of it.

Over the years I read a lot about tips and tricks to bring out the best of your system. Tweaking your system can be good fun.

On the web and in magazines you can pick up a lot of tips about improving the sound dramatically with simple tricks. When I tried these, a lot of them indeed made a sound difference. But was it really better? I don't mind spending a few bucks for experimenting with even the wildest idea's, so if some fly would have been able to report what it had seen in my listening rooms over the years, I think a lot of people would laugh.

Now , in all this I tried to listen as objectively as possible, and organise the experiments as a scientific experiment. Now do not get me wrong. I do not try to measure everything with some expensive electronic equipment. No, my two most important measuring instruments are sitting on the side of my head.

Anything I hear is there, anything i do not hear is not worth bothering about. A little bit strange for an engineer to think this way, but not less scientific. In my opinion, the audio domain is so difficult to measure that a lot can not be measured by an electronic instrument yet. So do not be surprised if you can not really explain some of it by normal physical or electronic laws. Welcome to the twilight zone !

Having said that, it has always been my goal to make sense of these experiments and device new theories that make them predictable. In some ways I am proud to say that in hindsight I was 10 years ahead of the industry. And maybe I even have some cards up my sleeve ;-)

In my tweaks category, you will find some "comon" high end knowledge that really works.
They might sound like hocus pocus, but for most there is a perfectly reasonable explanation.
Some can even be measured! ;-)

Enjoy

No comments: